Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sweet Potato Fries

Everyone loves french fries, but of course they're not exactly the best option for your health. Sweet Potato fries are great replacement, Sweet Potatoes are so good for you.

Now when I make these I cheat, I buy a big bag of pre-cut sweet potatoes from Costco, if your Costco has them pick up a bag and save yourself some cutting time.

100_0629

1lb Sweet Potatoes

1 tbsp Olive Oil

2 tsp Chili Powder

2 tsp Garlic Powder

2 tsp Onion Powder

salt, to taste

Preheat oven to 450 F.

Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into strips. Put them into a large zippered plastic bag along with oil and all spices. Close the bag and give it all a really good shake until all the potatoes are nicely coated.

Dump them onto a baking sheet and spread them out evenly. Bake for about 30 minutes.

They will look blackened, but they are not burnt(well, unless you really overdid them lol).

 

9 comments:

bcmomtoo said...

YUM! These look really good.

steven wilson said...

Those look really good I have always liked baked sweet potatoes.I will have to give this a try.

Katrin said...

I love sweet potato french fries. Those are the best since they are healthy too

Heart of Rachel said...

I like your version of sweet potato fries. In the Philippines, we usually deep fry sweet potato wedges with brown sugar.

Thanks for dropping your Entrecard on mine.

Shanewei said...

Looks yummy!! i love chili and garlic powder! will definitely give it a try someday. thanks for sharing!! :)

danielle said...

Hey, regular 'taters get such a bad rap! They are as healthy as sweet potatoes. Maybe it is the traditional toppings of butter or sour cream, and the eerie off-whiteness, that causes us to associate potatoes with being bad. Sweet potatoes have more Vitamin A but the regular kind are great for Vitamin C. Both are great sources of potassium and a range of other nutrients.

But nevertheless this recipe does indeed look tasty. I just am compelled to stand by the lowly regular spud.

Julie said...

I keep saying I'm going to try some sweet potato fries...and now I'm going to! Great site you have here :)

Ellen said...

Everytime I visit your blog I see these fries and I'm hungry. I just want to reach in the screen and grab a few. I tried it but it didn't work. :)

Ellen
www.ellensfoodforthought.blogspot.com

Rene Perez said...

Ah ha! I have to agree with Grumpus! Regular old potatoes have been called the perfect food. And yes.. what we choose to pile on them is what hurts us the most. Choose one the size of your fist and top it with some low sodium chili for a low calorie yet YUMMY meal!