Saturday, December 20, 2008

Diet Coke Sloppy Jo's

We call these "Sloppy Mommy's" in our house, why? Because I'm Jo of course! LOL

This is a tasty lower fat/calorie Sloppy Joe that I found on Recipezaar(Diet Coke Sloppy Joes). Quick and easy to make, I usually serve them on some of my homemade buns, but if I don't feel like baking buns I just buy some whole wheat hamburger buns to use. If you are a bean person I think a can of kidney beans would go good in them, my family does not like beans though and I'm not much of a fan either so I don't use them.

100_0960

1 lb Lean Ground Beef

1 medium Onion, chopped

1 1/2 tbsp Corn Starch (original recipe calls for arrowroot which I have never had in my pantry so I use corn starch instead)

1 cup Diet Cola(I generally use Coke Zero because that's what I drink and have in the house)

2/3 cup Ketchup

2 tbsp Vinegar

1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce

2 tsp Mustard

1. Brown ground beef and onion in a largish pot, drain/rinse or whatever it is you like to do to get all the fatty stuff off.

2. Dump beef/onion back into pot and add in remaining ingredients, mix well. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.

3. Scoop out onto toasted buns or bread. If you prefer you can serve it on pasta or rice or whatever. I like it on buns though, yum yummy!

I think I mentioned this before, but I'll say it again anyway ;). I find draining the fat off of ground beef and pork to be nothing but a pain in the rear and it still leaves the meat very greasy, so anytime I brown ground meat for a recipe I dump the meat into my colander after it's done and rinse it under warm water to wash away all the greasy yucky stuff.

Technorati Tags: ,

1 comment:

Callie Ann said...

So glad you posted this.. yipee!!!