Thursday, January 31, 2008

BBQ Chicken Pizza

I've shared this on my regular blog, My Absent Mind, before. I thought since I've started a food blog I should really post it on here. We do order in pizza occasionally just because it's easy, but more often I make my own. You can make it in less time then making the call and waiting for the delivery, and when you make it yourself you know what you're putting in it and can make it so much healthier. I started making this pizza last fall and it has become our favourite!

For the pizza crust I will usually use a whole wheat or multigrain storebought one, but sometimes I will make my own crust. Whole wheat pita bread also makes fantastic pizza crusts!

100_0950

1 pizza crust

bbq sauce

1 tomato(it does taste great without the tomato if you don't have one)

1 large onion

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts(you can use thighs if you wish)

water(or chicken broth)

1 tbsp oregano

2 cups shredded cheese of your choice(I use part-skim mozzarella)

1.  Put chicken in a pot and put enough water or chicken broth in to just cover, sprinkle in oregano. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover, poach chicken for approx 10 minutes until cooked through.

2.  When chicken is cooked shred it using 2 forks. Mix with some bbq sauce.

3.  Slice onion and cook until caramelized.

4.  Put a layer of bbq sauce on your pizza crust, top with sliced tomatoes, follow with a layer of caramelized onions, then your shredded chicken. Top it all with shredded cheese(2 cups is just an estimate, use however much cheese you like on your pizza).

5. Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes at 400*.

100_0951

 

No comments: