Friday, June 27, 2008

Bourbon Chicken

Ok, so this doesn't have any Bourbon in it, but it has sort of a Bourbon or Asian type chicken flavour. Another one I found on www.recipezaar.com then made my own changes to, although I don't think I changed much on this one from the original posted one as it was excellent to begin with.

This is probably my husbands favourite meal that I make.

100_0770

4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts

2 Clove Garlic

1/2 tsp Ginger

1 1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes

1/2 cup Juice(I have tried this with Apple Juice, Orange Juice, Lemonade and even Apple Sauce...so use what you have, all tasted great, I think the Lemonade tasted best but there was a very subtle difference between all of them)

2/3 cup Brown Sugar

4 tbsp Ketchup

1 tbsp Cider Vinegar(the recipe called for Cider Vinegar which I used to use, but when I ran out I couldn't find it anywhere so have been using Apple Cider Vinegar since and it works fine, I'll be honest I don't know the difference between these vinegars LOL)

1 cup Water

2/3 cup Soy Sauce(I've made it both with regular Soy Sauce and with Low Sodium Soy Sauce, it actually tastes different both ways, better with Low Sodium)

corn starch

1. Heat about 2 tbsp of Olive Oil in a large pot. Cut chicken breast into bite sized pieces and cook in pot until nicely browned and cooked through. Remove chicken from the pot and set aside.

2. Mix all remaining ingredients together and heat over medium heat until well mixed, add about a tbsp of cornstarch to help the sauce to start thickening a bit..

3. Add chicken back in and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add more corn starch if needed for a nice sauce.

4. Serve over rice or pasta. I always serve it over Whole Wheat Linguine then top with Sesame Seeds and Green Onion if I have it.

Technorati Tags: ,,

No comments: